Trying to decide whether to delve into online dating? We can help you work it out.
There is no doubt that the advances in technology in the last 20 years have changed society and culture. We live in a world today that would have been impossible to foresee less than a half century ago, and many of these changes have been wrought by computers and connectivity.
One of the areas of our lives where these technological transformations have been especially striking is in the dating scene. Use of the Internet has changed the way we date, offering both positive and negative consequences.
1. PRO: No more bars. One of the best changes is in the way that potential daters meet each other — you don't have to go out to the bar scene unless you really want to. By using online dating services and perusing profiles, you can read about a person, see them in photos and videos, hear their voices and make a judgement based on all of that information. Having this knowledge is far superior to meeting someone in a bar or any other random location for that matter because you know from the start what you're getting into.
2. PRO: Lots to choose from. Using dating services online and forums like chat room and so on, you have a plethora of opportunities and a wide range of choices when it comes to finding a partner. Potential dates used to be a real crap-shoot and chances weren't always good that you would roll a winner. Having a guaranteed variety of choices is a wonderful change from the old days of dating when it used to be hard just to meet people in general let alone to meet potential partners.
3. PRO: First dates are great. With the Internet and all of the information it can provide, those so-called "first date jitters" will be no more. OK, you still may be nervous, but after getting to know a person online or talking to them on the phone, your in person first date should be a welcome event. No more drinking too much to get rid of nerves and no more wondering what terrible situation you have gotten yourself in to. The 3 Things You Must Do To Find Love After Divorce
4. PRO: No guesswork. That is the really great thing about dating in these times — there doesn't have to be any guessing about the person you will be dating. With an online service you can be very specific about your needs and wants and your own process of screening will get you past the guessing stage. If you have any doubts about someone before the first date, you can clear it up easily — it's a win-win situation.
5. Pro: Google and Facebook. Social media is an incredible source of information about people. You can find out just about anything you want to know these days by using a combination of online profiles, Google searches and social media.
Does that sound like stalking? Possibly, but no more so than what we used to do — ask friends and co-workers what they knew about this person before going too far and agreeing to a date. Now it's all under your control and at your fingertips.
More dating advice from YourTango Experts:
» Home » Family » Relationships » Dating »
Online dating is full of pros and cons. You have to keep every step very intricately when you are using these online dating services. Everything about these online dating services is not bad and everything is not good as well. So you have to draw a line of your limitations. This is a great and revolutionary service which helped people in meeting their love interest. But since it is an online service therefore you have to be extra cautious while dating online. There are chances of you been exploited. So everything is up to you how you will make everything happen. There are some strict norms that are to be followed while using these online dating services.
The positive things about this great service of online dating are numerous. If you take care of your safety then this can be the best service where you can find a date for you. People so successfully utilized these online dating sites that they even got married to the person whom they met online. Sometimes it is about luck and sometimes how you are playing it. If you are on the right site at a right time then you will surely get a date. The way you create your profile speaks a lot about you. The kind of information you are uploading on these sites is very important. The profile is what you look like on these dating sites. You should always give importance to kind of information you are providing on these sites. The other good things about this service are that you can first know a person before you meet him or her.
This makes this service very successful. These provide a chance to know a person well before you meet them in public. If you find them interesting then you can go a head otherwise you can search for another person. There are numerous people on these online dating sites. So the number of choices on these sites is large again. You can view thousands of profiles before finalizing on one. Since for messaging and communication you can make a separate email id therefore it assures your safety as well. You can make use of the services that are available like tests and soul mate checks. These checks help you in analyzing that a person is compatible with you or not.
This service also has some disadvantages as well. The outrage of scammers and fraud people is increasing on such sites. This makes it very dangerous because if by chance you fall prey to any of these then you might have to pay severely for it. Since everything is online therefore all the profiles are virtual. Trusting a person�s jejunity is a big task in its own. This thing makes it very difficult to trust other people. People create tempting and attractive profiles, upload false pictures thus you always have a doubt about the person you are talking to.
All these pros and cons are the part of this online dating world. All you can do to protect is to look what you are giving on these sites and beware of the scams and fraud.
Related Articles And Other Topics